Wednesday 30 March 2011

Welcome to Import Blog - First Post!!!

Welcome to Import Blog! If I have time to maintain this blog it will leave a trail of my progress in the programming language Python. Many times I find myself searching for an answer and thinking I can't be the only one who wants to know this? For example step 1, what kind of computer do I need? What's the best operating system to use for learning to program? What books should I start with? Hopefully I'll make some progress answering these questions and the many more that follow.




Why should you learn Python? Because learning Python makes you a great programmer, not because it's hard but because it's easy. You spend your time learning how a program is structured not how to juggle bits all the time. The first language I learnt was C (As I was doing embedded chips) however I found many of the concepts I was being taught seemed obscure and I had little idea how to structure a C program. I remember spending about 80% of my time trying to figure out what existing code actually did and trying to write code that didn't cause some obscure error. It was a bad environment to learn about higher level concepts. Sure its not object orientated, so some might say just learn C++ but again how much time will you be dealing with low level slog and how much time are you learning computer science?

In the time I have been programming in Python I can tell I am already a far better programmer generally. I am faster, much more confident and am starting to get my head around good programming structure. But there is still a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment